A stroll through the mediaeval town of Xanten with its magnificent cathedral and the Archaeological Park gives an impressive picture of the town's turbulent history. Südsee lake is a paradise for people who enjoy water sports: sailing, surfing, scuba diving, canoeing, water skiing - anything is possible. Fine sand at the "Südseestrand" (beach) and a high ropes course for climbing fans complement the extensive leisure facilities. And the Xantener Südsee lido, with its Finn Well sauna complex, turns the recreation centre into a true water sports paradise.
Leisure facilities in the youth hostel
- Table tennis
- Shoot-out challenge
- Table football
- Pinball machine
- Beach volleyball
- Barbecue site
- Artificial turf pitch
- Disco room
Water sports in Xanten
Xanten is the water sports paradise in the Lower Rhine region. Whether you want to sail, surf, dive or water ski - anything's possible here. Xanten Youth Hostels offer schools supervised school trips, where water sports can be tried out (available from April to October). Active families are sure to find the right activities for them from among the range exciting water sports options that the hostel offers. With the "Compact Holiday Diving Course", competent teachers prepare participants in a fun and active way for the dive sites of this world. One sailing course ("Jolle oder lieber Optimist") teaches sailors - both young and old - how to use a sailing boat.
- Water sports paradise: Xanten leisure centre with bathing lake, sauna complex and water sports (5 minutes on foot)
Leisure facilities in the area
In addition to ancient history and water sports, Xanten and its surrounding area offer many other recreational opportunities. Three bicycle routes will ensure that cyclists will really enjoy themselves: the NiederRhein (Lower Rhine) Route, the Rhein-Radweg (Rhine Cycle Route) and the Via Romana. Bislicher Island, the historic Kriemhild Mill and Xanten's Nordsee lake are popular destinations and within easy walking distance. In bad weather, the sauna complex in the leisure centre and the antique baths are a relaxing alternative.
- History live: APX and Roman Museum (30 minutes on foot)
- High above: Xanten Adventure Park (10 minutes on foot)
- Hoist the sail: Xanten Nordsee lake at Vynen harbour (40 minutes on foot)
- Gothic relic: Xanten Cathedral (40 minutes on foot)
- Roman route: cycling on upgraded cycle network
- Still in operation: historical Kriemhild Mill with mill shop (40 minutes on foot)
- Roman bathing: ancient baths with underfloor heating (20 minutes on foot)
- Natural floodplain landscape: Bislicher Island (7 km)
- Amphitheatre and rare flowers: Altrhein Nature Reserve (7 km)